Dear Bridges Library System member libraries-
Bridges Library System has made the decision to sunset the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten app in the iTunes and Google Play stores effective December 31, 2021. This means that the app will no longer be available to download and support for the app will cease. Bridges Library System will send a series of three notices to the app users, starting in August, and include information on how book records can be downloaded (see below for schedule). Please note that existing app users can continue to use it through year-end and book records can be downloaded, starting immediately.
The mobile app was developed in 2015 for users who wanted a digital application to track their children’s reading. At the time, apps like this were not available from individual library systems and we are very proud to have offered it to patrons for so many years. We arrived at the decision to sunset the 1000 Books app based on several factors including declining downloads & usage and the availability of the Beanstack app for public libraries in Wisconsin, which includes a 1000 Books module.
While decisions like this are always difficult, we feel it is the right time to phase out the 1000 Books app. The following timeline is provided so you can see the detailed path we have developed to sunset the app:
- May – Library system partners receive invoice for cloud storage so their users can save their book records. Invoice covers the calendar year.
- June – Inform public libraries and public library system partners in Wisconsin
- July – Disable new downloads of app in iTunes and Google Play stores
- August – Download report of app users who have logged at least 1 book in the app. Bridges Library System will send email to users about sunsetting the app which includes instructions of how to download book records (1st notice)
- September – Bridges Library System will send email to users about sunsetting the app which includes instructions of how to download book records (2nd notice)
- October – Bridges Library System will send email to users about sunsetting the app which includes instructions of how to download book records (3rd notice)
- October-December – Users will have access to the app to download book records
- December 31 – End cloud storage agreement, app developer support, and remove read1000books.org from webserver
If you have any questions about how we arrived at this decision or want to know more about any part of the process to sunset the app, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at (262) 896-8245.
Thank you for supporting the 1000 Books before Kindergarten app for the last several years.
Coordinator of Youth and Inclusive Services
Bridges Library System